We were approached by the owners of Marshfoot Cattery & Grooming Salon in Hailsham, East Sussex last month regarding the presence of their content on the search engines. They were keen to improve on the performance of their content for the key searches they’d identified. After a couple of discussions and estimates we reached an agreement, the result being an SEO site checkup. Three weeks later all the tasks had been completed.
This post provides some detail on what we did. In time we hope to add some positive outcomes of the work completed to this report!
Whenever we provide an estimate for taking on a new client we always build in some time to familiarise ourselves with their website, the market – and what services they offer which makes them stand out, and review any promotional activity to date. Their website is built in WordPress, once we’d been granted full access, we liaised with the previous web designer and took a copy of the site. We then ran all the outstanding updates, checked for any issues and then did the same on the live site.
The client agreed to us looking after their website going forward, we provide many maintenance services, in this instance it was agreed that we’d look after taking regular backups, running essential WordPress, theme and plugin updates. In addition we’ll provide a quarterly monitoring report and manage simple ad-hoc content updates.
We then set about the keyword research. For any SEO projects we undertake this is always an early part of the process. As well as consult with the client over their thoughts on keywords and their overall objectives, we assessed the keywords being targeted by their competitors and used the data available from their Google Search Console account to better understand the terms bringing organic traffic to their site.
After the research was completed we provided a concise report detailing our findings and recommendations.
What was immediately clear was that their content could be restructured to simplify the site architecture which in turn would improve the user experience. In addition it was apparent that they needed to create new content to promote their cat grooming services and make this more prominent on the site.
With regard to keywords in became apparent that they were competing well for branded keywords and the geographical searches for towns close by (e.g. ‘Cattery Eastbourne’). However there was potential to improve their ranking for the broader geographical ‘county’ searches (e.g. ‘Cattery East Sussex’) – which generate a greater number of searches. As such this was highlighted as an opportunity.
We also suggested the client claim and edit their Google My Business listing.
After the client had an opportunity to feedback on this report, we set about editing the site, introduced some new content, revised some of the existing content and optimised each page for the targeted keywords. This was all completed on the copy of the site we’d taken previously so the client could approve the changes before they were applied to the live site. We also added Google Analytics tracking which was previously missing. Then we applied all the redirects and resubmitted a sitemap.
As we said in the intro, we hope to update this post to reveal the results of these tasks. We also hope to work with the client further in the future to tackle the other important SEO strands, including implementing a backlink strategy.
If this SEO troubleshooting service is of interest to you then please do get in touch.