We’ve just completed the rebuild of one of our clients websites and wanted to use this opportunity to highlight some of the processes we undertook, should you be considering taking us on for your project.
We’ve worked with The Fireplace Company since 2015 and built their original website for them. We’ve had a monthly SEO contract in place since then, and have added more content to their site since launch – so when they enquired about changing their website to fulfil some new objectives, we were only to happy to get involved and look to add value.
There were several reasons why the client thought now was the time for a rebuild. They had recently been awarded the status of Chesney premier dealer, which meant their showroom was going to be refurbished and they wanted the website to tie in and focus on communicating this. They were also interested in selling some of the outdoor cooking products they supplied via the website – and also wanted to add some more products from one of their new suppliers Stovax & Gazco. In addition they wanted to make better use of the large images they had access to. We saw this as an opportunity to deliver all of these and move their site to the Genesis Framework and a modern, responsive WordPress theme.
After we’d discussed the plan and costs we got to work. We wanted to deliver mockups so the client could choose from a number of different themes and make a decision early on look and feel. We chose an off-the-shelf theme and worked with some designs provided by the client, and used the recently rebuilt Chesney’s website as a template.
Then we started to look at the content. We knew the client wanted to introduce some new products and saw this an opportunity to review the set up of the products on their existing site. We’d felt for some time that although there wasn’t duplicated content on the site, there were a number of product lines that looked incredibly similar – and as such might confuse visitors. We recommended a consolidation of some products lines into what we called product range pages – which would provide an overview for visitors to compare products at a glance. The idea being they’d choose the style they liked and contact The Fireplace Company to discuss their exact requirements.
Another way we felt we could improve the user experience was to introduce some product filters to help visitors find the product they were looking for quickly. Using the high-profile drop down menus in the sidebar would allow visitors to filter by product type, brand, fuel (stoves and fires) or material (fireplaces). We also created some bespoke sliders on the product archive pages so visitors could easily browse through the entire range, whatever device they were using.
We also used this opportunity to rework the product categories and tags to ensure the site was future-proofed should further product lines be added in future.
To ensure we delivery on the tie in to Chesney’s brand and promotion of their products over the others on the site, we suggested adding brand logos to the single product and product archive pages – and followed this through for the other brands, but in a more understated way.
We used the WooCommerce eCommerce plugin on their previous site as a way of cataloguing their products. We adjusted the settings and edited the products so the client could sell a number of their products directly to their customers.
The process of creating this new site was fairly straightforward. It all took place on a development site that the client could access throughout the project. We downloaded all the products from the old site, edited them, added to the list, checked it all carefully and re-uploaded the content. We also made some revisions to the pages and posts and of course optimised all the content for search.
When the client had signed off the project we managed the migration to a new, leaner url and moved the site to a secure https server since they’d be collecting personal data and taking payments. We took care of the whole process and picked up all the tasks associated with managing this type of migration, including the redirects, fixing broken links and updated their Google Analytics, Search Console and Google My Business accounts.